Frequently Asked Questions

Where do I obtain a Municipal Lien Letter?
Municipal Lien Letters are available on this website, under the Borough Tab at the top of the page, then under Borough Forms at the bottom right. Send Municipal Lien Letter Requests to: Ben Avon Heights Borough, 12 Lynton Lane, Pittsburgh, PA 15202. There is a $35 fee for lien letters.
Does Ben Avon Heights require dye testing when a homeowner is selling and refinancing their home?
Yes, prior to the closing of a home sale or refinancing, residents must obtain a dye test application to be completed by a registered, licensed plumber. Forms can be obtained on this website under the Borough Tab at the top of the page, then under Borough Forms at the bottom right. . A $25 dye test fee (checks payable to Ben Avon Heights Borough) must accompany the completed dye test form and should be returned to Ben Avon Heights Borough, 12 Lynton Lane, Pittsburgh, PA 15202.
What types of activities require a permit?
New home or building construction, building alterations, earthmoving / grading, swimming pools, sheds, opening a borough street or right-of-way, driveway connection, building demolition, and solicitation. To obtain a street opening permit, contact the borough at 412-766-1561. Step By Step Procedure for Applying for Zoning and Building Permits in Ben Avon Heights
  1. Contact Borough (412-766-1561) for a Zoning Permit Application. Complete and return the application to Ben Avon Heights Borough, 12 Lynton Lane., Pittsburgh, PA 15202.
  2. Wait for approval from Zoning Officer (approximately 2 weeks)
  3. After receiving Zoning Permit, contact Building Inspection Underwriters of PA (412-766-2565) to apply for a Building Permit. Copy of Zoning Permit must be provided to BIU.
  4. Wait for approval from Building Inspector (approximately 2 – 3 weeks)
  5. If approved, display Building Permit in window of home.
Who maintains the roads in Ben Avon Heights?
The Borough contracts road maintenance from Avalon Borough. To report a problem contact the borough at (412)766-1561. Allegheny County maintains county roadways (Ben Avon Heights Road, New Brighton Road, and Perrysville Road) and can be contacted at (412) 350-5902. State roadways are maintained by PennDOT and can be reached at 1-800-FIX-ROAD.
Which public school will my child attend?
Avonworth School District. Contact the administrative offices at (412) 369-8738 or visit their website at
How can I contact the High School, Middle School, and Elementary School?
Avonworth High School (412) 366-6360
Avonworth Middle School (412) 366-9650
Avonworth Elementary School (412) 366-7170
What types of local taxes am I required to pay?
Real Estate taxes are levied by three taxing bodies based on the assessed property values as established by Allegheny County. Those taxing bodies and the discount deadline dates for payment of taxes are as follows:
  • Ben Avon Heights Borough –May 30th (discount good until July 1st) – Contact Berkheimer Tax Administrator – 1-866-300-1714
  • Avonworth School District - August 31st - (412) 741-5950
  • Allegheny County - March 31st - (412) 350-4100
An earned income tax of 1% is split equally between the borough and the Avonworth School District.
Where do I pay my Real Estate Taxes?
Denise Raves is the elected Real Estate Tax Collector; however Jordan Tax Services is the deputized Tax Collector for Ben Avon Heights. Please send all Ben Avon Heights Real Estate Tax payments to Jordan Tax Service, Inc, 102 Rahway Road, McMurray PA 15317-3349. Their phone number is 412-835-5243 or 724-731-2300.
Where do I pay my Earned Income Taxes?
Earned Income Taxes collections now fall under Act 32 which is a law that reforms and standardizes the local earned income tax system. The appointment of collection responsibility falls on countywide committees made up of representatives from local municipalities and school districts. The committees established tax collection districts and elected tax officers to collect the Earned Income Tax (EIT). Act 32 requires uniform withholding of earned income taxes and remittance to a single local collector or Tax Officer. The Act applies to the earned income taxes levied and collected after December 31, 2011. Employers must begin to withhold the local EIT from employees on January 1, 2012. Appointed tax officers start collecting the EIT on January 1, 2012, unless the tax collection district has opted for early implementation. Ben Avon Heights Borough’s collection agency is Keystone Collections Group. They can be reached at 724-978-0300. Ben Avon Heights PSD Code is 710202
Your Employer collects:
  • ½% for Ben Avon Heights; and
  • ½% for Avonworth School District.
How do I register to vote?
Allegheny County maintains all voting information. To Register You Must:
  • Be a citizen of the U.S. for at least one month before the next election;
  • Be a resident of Pennsylvania and your election district for at least 30 days before the next election;
  • Be at least 18 years of age on the day of the next election.
Voter Registration applications are available at the municipal office or from Allegheny County Election Department. The county can be reached by phone at (412) 350-4500 or on the web at
Where do I vote?
Shannopin Country Club, Canterbury Road, Pittsburgh, PA 15202.
The polls are open on election day from 7:00 am to 8:00 pm.
Utilities and Recycling
Who collects my garbage and recyclables?
Valley Waste Service, Inc. will provide all residential trash and recycling collection. They can be reached at 724-843-9373. Currently the borough pays for residential trash and recycling collection for the entire borough. Residents (including new residents) should simply place their trash cans and recycling bins curb side on Monday mornings (recycling every other Monday). To arrange for rear door trash and recycling collection, please contact the borough secretary at 412-766-1561. The annual fee for rear door trash and recycling collection is set annually. Additional recycling bins can be purchased for $10.00 each by calling the borough.
What day is my garbage and recycling collected?
Monday is collection day for both garbage and recycling.
What types of items are recycled?
All glass, plastic and metal containers, as well as magazines and newspapers, corrugated and pressed cardboards are recyclable. Newspaper and magazines do not need to be placed inside a separate paper or plastic bag, we have single stream recycling. If is it raining on collection day, please do not put out newspapers or magazines.
How do I dispose of large bulky items?
Contact Valley Waste Services, Inc. at 724-843-9373 to make arrangements for pick up of large appliances such as stoves, washers, dryers, water heaters, furniture etc. Valley Waste Services, Inc. will only pick up refrigerators, freezers and air conditioners with tags certifying that the Freon has been removed.
Who do I call when I am having water problems?
West View Water provides public water service to borough residents and can be reached by calling (412) 931-3292.
Who do I call if my power goes out?
Duquesne Light Company services Ben Avon Heights and can be reached at (412) 393-6000.
Municipal Services
What is the telephone number for the Post Office?
Two post offices serve Ohio Township. Their numbers are as follows:
Sewickley (15143) (412) 741-1925
Bellevue (15202) (412) 761-0527
Where is the local library?
Avalon Public Library 317 S. Home Avenue, Avalon, PA 15202 (412) 761-2288
Sewickley Public Library 500 Thorn Street, Sewickley, PA 15143 (412) 741-6920
Who is the local Magistrate / District Justice?
Tara Smith is the Magistrate / District Justice for Ben Avon Heights.
Her office is located 660 Lincoln Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15202. Telephone No. (412) 761-8770.
How do I locate Vital Records and General Information?
Please visit the PA Department of Health to find:
  • Birth Records
  • Death Records
  • Marriage and Divorce Records
  • Genealogy Requests
  • Adoption Registry
What are the other important telephone numbers for Allegheny County
Allegheny County Assistance (General Information) (412) 350-5313
Allegheny County Department of Real Estate (412) 350-4600
Allegheny County Department of Elections (412) 350-4500
Allegheny County Road Maintenance (412) 350-5902
Allegheny County Treasurer (County Taxes / Dog Licenses) (412) 350-4100
Allegheny County Register of Wills (412) 350-4180
Allegheny County Recorder of Deeds (412) 350-4227
Pittsburgh Poison Center 1-800-222-1222